All required inspections are listed at the bottom of each permit issued by the Lac du Bonnet Planning District. It is ultimately the owner's responsibility to have all required inspections done. The owner, authorized agent, or general contractor must book an inspection at each stage listed on the bottom of the permit.
FOR AN INITIAL INSPECTION, PLEASE CONTACT:
- Maureen Janisch, Planning Administrator, 204-345-2619, EXT 118 or email email@example.com
- Shauna Leochko, Planning Clerk, 204-345-2619, EXT 110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please leave a message with your name, whether you reside in the Town or RM of Lac du Bonnet, civic address or roll number of the inspection, the type of inspection required, the preferred date and time of the requested inspection, and a call-back number. Your permit will be pulled and reviewed; the building inspector will then be in contact with you for scheduling. A minimum of 48 hours is required and is subject to change.
If there is no call back from the inspector, no inspection has been scheduled. Please call or email to ensure your appointment has been confirmed with the inspector.
Failure to call for an inspection is subject to fines and penalties in accordance with the Building By-Law, and/or remedial actions to correct as required by the building inspector.
No inspections are conducted during statutory holidays.
For a printable permit application: Click Here
Inspection fees not included in the permit fee include:
- Additional Inspections, above the allotted number of inspections included on the bottom of the permit. If the work is not complete when inspector was requested or if fails inspection, a re-inspection will be required. The fee for re-inspection during regular hours is $50 per site visit.
- Inspections requested after regular hours entail a $200 flat fee.
- Inspection requested where no development or building permit issued during regular hours - $75 per hour or part thereof.
- All inspections outside the Municipality during regular hours will be charged a fee of $75 per hour plus applicable mileage.
Typical required inspection stages
- Site Inspection – Prior to digging, property lines must be marked in a visible manner as well as location of the building and excavation.
- Foundation Footing / Piles – Prior to pouring, forms and steel must be in place.
- Foundation Walls / Garage Slab – Prior to pouring, forms and steel must be in place.
- Weeping Tile and Damp proofing – Prior to back-filling.
- Framing – When roof and framing are complete, windows and door have been installed.
- Plumbing – When all rough in plumbing must be complete including basement floor.
- Vapour Barrier – When all the insulation and vapour barrier is in place and sealed.
- Final Inspection – When the building is 100 per cent complete and prior to occupancy.
The RM and Town of Lac du Bonnet do not allow Garages/Accessory Buildings or Travel Trailers on vacant land until the primary building has been erected. Travel Trailers must be in a permitted trailer park. Please remember when purchasing property, it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure the existing buildings and or use of the property is in compliance with all Municipal By-Laws a zoning memorandum is recommended.
All structures over 106 sq. ft. require a building permit and structures under 106 sq. ft. require a locate permit. We encourage you to submit your application well in advance of your project start date. Processing times will be dependent on the complexity of your application and the total number of applications received. Applications for projects that are submitted in the busy construction season (April to September) may take longer to process.
If construction has not started within six months of the date of issuance, the building permit is NULL and VOID. A new permit must be issued. The permit is also NULL and VOID if the authorized work is suspended for six months.
Permits are issued and priced as per The Rural Municipal of Lac du Bonnet Building By-Law and The Town of Lac du Bonnet Building By-Law, which can be found below or at our office.
|RM of Lac du Bonnet Building By-Law||Town of Lac du Bonnet Building By-law|
Please see below for the Lac du Bonnet Planning District's Development Plan.
Permit Information and Requirements
- Part 9 - New Residential or Commercial Building and Additions (Single Family Dwellings, Two Family Dwellings, Buildings 3 Stories or Less, Buildings Less Than 6458sq’)
- Part 3 - New Residential or Commercial Building and Additions
- Mobile Homes
- Interior Renovation and Basement Development
- Plumbing Permits
- Accessory Building/Structure over 592sq’ (Garage, workshop, etc.)
- Accessory Building/Structure 107sq’ to 591sq’ (Shed, Gazebo, etc.)
- Farm Building
- Pools & Hot Tubs
- Demolition/Removal Permit
- Temporary Building /Structure Permit
- Locate Permit (Sign, towers, building/structure 106sq’ or less, docks, etc.)
- Other Additional Permit Requirements That May Be Required.
Failing to take out a permit
Work that is done without a permit may not meet the minimum Building Code requirements and could result in substandard construction that may not be structurally adequate. This could lead to costly repairs to correct the problem or even a complete failure of the construction. Remedial action will be required to bring the building to current code, fines and penalties may be levied, and penalties and/or legal action may be taken.